Installation Questions

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2007 at 5:19 PM
Numerous people have now downloaded the software. I know all the details are not really documented on how to configure or how things are implemented. Regardless of how trivial the question, please feel free to ask so there becomes a documentation trail for others.
Jul 25, 2007 at 2:44 AM
I'm interested in integrating this functionality into an existing application, without requiring the separate installer to be run on each machine (installed on many machines, so it would take a long time to visit each one). I already have application configuration information that will provide the parent/child hierarchy, so I want to initialize that programatically.

I'd rather not dig through the installer and related code for a few hours to figure out how to do this, and others will likely be interested in how to embed this into their apps as well. Would you please provide some pointers on how to do this?

Thanks,
Nathan
Coordinator
Jul 26, 2007 at 3:48 AM
The problem is the installer installs a windows service and it's this service that distributes messages between machines. The setup.exe can be run in silent mode with answers provided so installation can be automated. I think it would be harder to replicate installing the windows service than to just run the setup. For the application, there are only a few dll's that you bundle with the client application.

Let me know if this didn't quite answer you question.

Keith
Sep 29, 2007 at 8:21 PM
I'm using the Sep 21 release, and I'm struggling to get the samples working. I've re-referenced PubSubMgr and WspEvent, but it's still stating "Unable to load DLL 'SharedMemoryMgr.dll': The specified module could not be found."

Am I doing something silly?
Coordinator
Sep 29, 2007 at 9:41 PM
Since SharedMemoryMgr is unmanaged code, you need to copy its DLL to whatever directory you're building and executing the samples from. If it were managed code, you could put a reference in the project and VS would do this for you.

Another gotcha that I have seen is when someone places the wrong version, 32-bit/64-bit, in the application directory.

Hope this solves you're issue.

Keith

DynamicalSystem wrote:
I'm using the Sep 21 release, and I'm struggling to get the samples working. I've re-referenced PubSubMgr and WspEvent, but it's still stating "Unable to load DLL 'SharedMemoryMgr.dll': The specified module could not be found."

Am I doing something silly?

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:10 PM
Coolio. Mille grazia.
May 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM
I'm having some troubles running the examples. When I compile the 'EventPinPong' demo I get the following error: "The type or namespace name 'PubSubManager' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft.WebSolutionsPlatform.Event' " I ran the installation exe. I am using VS 2005. Any help you can give me would be helpful, I am just begining to play with this product.

Thanks,
Owens

Coordinator
May 24, 2008 at 4:35 AM

I tried the same thing on my machine at home and had the same issue. For some reason, the setup is not putting three DLL's in the GAC. I hadn't run into this issue on my work machines. My work machines are Vista and Server 2008 while my home machine is XP.

The solution is simple though. You need to put the pubsubmgr.dll, wspevent.dll, and wspsharedqueue.dll files in the GAC. The easiest way to do this is by dragging and dropping the files into the Windows\assembly directory. You will find the files in the Program Files\Microsoft\WspEventSystem directory.

I'll need to investigate why the install isn't gac'ing the files on my XP machine.

cowens85 wrote:
I'm having some troubles running the examples. When I compile the 'EventPinPong' demo I get the following error: "The type or namespace name 'PubSubManager' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft.WebSolutionsPlatform.Event' " I ran the installation exe. I am using VS 2005. Any help you can give me would be helpful, I am just begining to play with this product.

Thanks,
Owens

May 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM
Thanks Keith, That fixed my problems with the demo. When I try to create my own projects I can't get it to recognize 'WebSolutionsPlatform.' Is this just a setting I can change somewhere? I checked the properties of both the demo and the file I created and they seem to be exactly the same. Are there files that I need to copy into a directory, or should the install have done this for me?
Thanks,
Owens
May 30, 2008 at 7:20 PM
Edited May 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM
Coordinator
May 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM
Did you put references in your project to the event system dll's? It sounds like they're missing. You can see them in the demo application.

Keith

cowens85 wrote:
Thanks Keith, That fixed my problems with the demo. When I try to create my own projects I can't get it to recognize 'WebSolutionsPlatform.' Is this just a setting I can change somewhere? I checked the properties of both the demo and the file I created and they seem to be exactly the same. Are there files that I need to copy into a directory, or should the install have done this for me?
Thanks,
Owens

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Hi,

I was trying to use the WspEventRouter installer, successful the first time, but now I kept on getting an error "Error 1001. Source WspEventRouter already exists on the local computer."

After looking into the installer code, managed to find the following within the PerformanceCounterSetup:

if (EventLog.SourceExists("WspEventRouter") == true)
            {
                EventLog.DeleteEventSource("WspEventRouter");
            }

It looks as if this piece never got executed or kept being rollback.  I created a dummy unit test with just the above, ran it (broke into the if) after installer failed.  After running that test, the installer runs fine.

Thanks!

William

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2010 at 6:41 AM

It sounds like you might be upgrading from the previous version. To upgrade, you have to uninstall the previous version, reboot, and then install the new version. Of course msi doesn't realize you have to reboot to finish the uninstall. The reason for the reboot is Windows will only cleanup the perf counters being uninstalled at reboot time. The old version used permanent perf counters and the new version uses process lifetime perf counters.

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Thanks for your reply keithh!

I start looking into this last week, so unless version has changed during that time or someone else installed it on my computer from before, I can't see how this would come into play.

I did however, click on repair option once after installation was successful.  Just another clue that might help us solve the mystery.  I am up and running now so not too worry.

Thanks again!

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:33 AM
hi keithh,
e installed a wsp 32bit version 2.1 on a machine running Windows server2008. When I try to run my Wsp application or one default example (pingpong-listen-service) I have this error message " "Unable to load DLL 'SharedMemoryMgr.dll': The specified module could not be found."
I tried to copy dll in folder but it doesn't resolve my problem.
Now I installed 2.0 32 bit version and it work.

Can you help me to resolve problem?
Thanks!
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM
If you're running the 64 bit version of WS 2008, you should have SharedMemoryMgrx64.dll in the Windows\System32 directory and SharedMemoryMgrx86.dll in the Windows\SysWOW64 directory. If it's the 32 bit version of WS 2008, you should have SharedMemoryMgrx86.dll in the Windows\System32 directory.